View Single Post

July 12th, 2011, 12:35
In our day every game that has a skill tree, many weapons/armors and a few "choices" is declared RPG. At this rate Dragon Age will be old-school in 10 years. The answer to the question differs from person to person, mostly due to preferences and the time when that person played the game.
Another important factor in giving the answer would be the nostalgia factor. Most of the "RPG's" today are so far from what they were 10-15 years ago that one immediatly compares them and brings into discussion the better quality of older games. Of course looking back at them, modern games have mostly the same ideea but poorly implemented.
When Dragon Age came out, a lot of people were pleased because it offered something the genre needed : a story that could be influenced by the player, interaction between you and the party members, moral choices, epic boss fights and high difficulty. Ofc it's still a shallow game and the only companions I actually cared for were Morrigan and the dog, but it was the best thing we had until then.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel