View Single Post

July 15th, 2011, 12:14
I've played the game a fair amount now and I think it has a lot of potential, but as a roguelike veteran I don't think it's quite up there with the classics yet. My biggest issue with it so far is pacing. Roguelike games generally try to keep you moving fairly quickly through levels that steadily increase in difficulty and monster variety. But levels in Dredmore are huge, you spend forever wandering around the first level fighting the same 3-4 monsters. Even if you aren't obsessive about exploring each level (which you probably should be in a roguelike), you still have to spend way too long there before your capable of surviving in the next one, and then you spend just as long fighting a different batch of 3-4 monsters (who really aren't all that different). I think the game would benefit a lot from reducing the size of levels but making more of them, as well as adding more variety.

But the game is new and if your a roguelike fan it's definitely worth the $5. I look forward to seeing what becomes of it.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch