Major Explosion in Oslo - Pm's office destroyed

Potentially grim. Definitly linked.

I agree with you. Now. I was a bit in doubt due to what appeared as different scales (scope?) of the operations: powerful bomb vs one single man shooting. But yes, is seems likely that they are connected.

The shooter has been described as:
"Roughly 190 cm tall white man with short, blond hair in his 30s or 40s wearing a police uniform."

Reports indicate he is most likely Norwegian. The police in Norway seem to think the attacks are linked, and that the youth camp might still contain a bomb.

A sad day indeed, hopefully the police will get to the bottom of this quickly.

My best wishes to those affected by this.

Takes a real animal to intentionally target kids. Sad, sad day.

"Roughly 190 cm tall white man with short, blond hair in his 30s or 40s wearing a police uniform."
Besides the terrorism angle, it could also be the work of a madman. It's an hour drive from where the bombs vent off, and the report of the gunman happend some 1.5 hours later. Police got him so we'll soon know maybe of potential affiliation.

Besides the terrorism angle, it could also be the work of a madman. It's an hour drive from where the bombs vent off, and the report of the gunman happend some 1.5 hours later.

Indeed.

It seems the death toll is far worse than most originally suspected. The shooter alone could've killed as many as 20-30 people at the camp according to the latest reports. Noone is sure what the truth is at the moment.

AP is saying 7 dead at the building and no verified counts yet at the camp.

At a press conference just now, the police is certain that the man arrested at the summer camp is also connected to the bomb explosion. His identity is known (to the police)

Seems too organized to be the work of a madman. But I wouldn't exclude some ultranationalist/nazi like militant group. BBC or CNN - don't remember - draws parallels to the Oklahoma bombing. Highly speculative, of course.

EDIT: The police confirms there are several deaths at the summer camp, maybe around 10.

Last edited:
EDIT: The police confirms there are several deaths at the summer camp, maybe around 10.
Oki. From the helicopter footage is looked pretty horrible, but is was impossible to discern if they were alive. They've not shown that footage again.

There aren't that many extremist groups in Norway. Only one I know of is Vigrid but they're more like a skinhead community. Maybe a disgruntled (and unstable) ex-military, our own mcveigh? They've seen a lot of cutbacks and closing of civil defence who had anti-terror as responsibility. Total speculation on my part while waiting for police to report.

Last edited:

Reports indicate he is most likely Norwegian. The police in Norway seem to think the attacks are linked, and that the youth camp might still contain a bomb.

A sad day indeed, hopefully the police will get to the bottom of this quickly.

My best wishes to those affected by this.

What is the source on this ?

It's witness reports. Relatives has been relaying information they received over mobil back to media.

pretty much. they mentioned twitter reports from some people hiding in the camp.

Not reliable enough. I hope they will confirm in the press conference 22:30.

His looks were described by a survivor at the island who was interviewed. The interview is listed in several Norwegian newspapers, shouldn't be hard to find.

The same person has been spotted in both places, they are almost certain it was the same guy.

Edit:
Here is the interview:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10080593

He's confirmed Norwegian though they didn't mention heritage, but skin color is traditionally mentioned when a suspect has non-white complexion.

ed: So it really was the work of a highly intelligent psychopath twisted by some notion of a ultra-nationalism struggle against a multicultural society. Not the work of international terrorism but a mass murderer. The planning and execution boggles the mind. Besides all the killed, the trauma endured by the kids during the struggle on the island must be immense.

Last edited:
BILD.de refers to an official press conference early Saturday morning as the their source for "at least 80 people killed" in the summer camp assault. What a sad day. :(

That attack on the camp - that is truly horrible. With the camp on an island and offering no protection, the kids there had no chance. What a hideous devious deed. They got the man alive.

Edit: An interesting bit of info on NZZ.ch: apparently PM Stoltenberg was to talk at the camp on the same day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom