View Single Post

August 14th, 2011, 00:25
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think some of us are starting to get overly apologetic here. I agree that IW wasn't as bad as some people try to make it out to be, but better than most of today's games? ….No.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but given the choice, I'd take Bioshock 9 times out of 10.
I don't have much to add what you said. People seem quite apologetic to IW's design flaws.

I was never able to have fun while playing said game. From the very begining IW felt a gigantic dissapointment. I constantly reminded myself to keep an open mind and forget the orginal game, but I couldn't. Almost everything that was good in DX1 was either removed entirely or replaced with something worse. IW didn't only fail as a sequel to Deus Ex but also as a video game. It simply wasn't enjoyable.

I hated the universal ammo and level design. Crappy ui and inventory gave me headaches. I really tried to give it a chance. Some of the new augs were in fact quite cool, but devs ruined the whole idea of augmentation when I realized that installing an aug wasn't a permanent choise anymore. In the orginal game JC had to constantly make choises between various augs. In the iw player could always change his mind later on if he made a bad choise. Such design only cheapens the overall experience. Since there weren't skill choises either, the whole character progression area felt quite thin compared to DX1.

Storyline had it's merits and it was likely the only area of game design where IW didn't fail. On paper everything was nice but for some reason it didn't inspire me at all. The game never connected me on emotional level. I hardly remember anything about game's main character or his motives other than how uncharismatic Alex was. Now and then I read comments that JC didn't have personality. I never felt that way.

Maybe I could see it differently if I hadn't played DX1 before IW.

Dez

Watcher of The Keep