View Single Post

September 3rd, 2011, 15:52
I have with great interest followed the evolution of Castlevania up to Castlevania 64. I have been considering to pick up some of the more recent titles to play on my own.

Castlevania I looks super hard. I wouldn't have the patience to get through a game like that today. The various remakes and upgrades for Castlevania I was interesting, especially Akumajō Dracula X68000 which had an amazing background to the game with alot of cool stuff going on. The Arcade Version looked good but the character look like he got something stuck up his behind.

The various GameBoy titles were a bit boring. Cool with a female character in Legends. Kid Dracula was a bit funny considering what a weird offshoot it was compared to the other titles. The WII remake of Adventure (Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth) look really good though even if it didn't seem to have much related to the gameboy version.

The change from Castlevania I to Simon's Quest was interesting. I have seen a couple of reviewers trashing Castlevania II completely, including Angry Videogame Nerd and the perhaps even funnier Egoraptor. It's interesting how complaints over dumbification applies even to a such old title.

I found a really great playthrough of Castlevania III by CornshaqGaming that felt like a historylesson. This is exactly the kind of videos I search for when it comes to these old games.

While the genesis game Castlevania: Bloodlines was a bit "meh", the real step up was Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, the Wii Virtual Console version (Dracula X was crap). The anime cutscenes, multiple characters and an actual storyline was a great leap forward. The PSP remake Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles was even greater and one of the better 3d remakes I have seen of a 2d title. The portraits look good, the voiceacting was great and the 3d was well done while keeping gameplay faithful to the original title.

I agree with Symphony of the Night being a peak of the series before taking a complete nosedive with Castlevania 64. Not only do Castlevania 64 look horrible it doesn't look fun to play either.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM