View Single Post

September 8th, 2011, 11:58
Interesting piece, but I think the idea to apply traditional standards of storytelling to video games is ultimately flawed because unlike any other storytelling medium games are interactive.

I personally believe that it is beyond the capabilities of the human mind to create games that successfully combine the interactivity and the story to achieve an experience that is as coherent and as meaningful as the various classics of traditional media. One of the games that tried to do this and that I know of is Braid and it failed spectacularly in this regard.

One of the main criticisms of the article is that Human Revolution lacks character development of both the protagonist and other characters in the game. This may be true to some extent, but this is criticism that is equally valid when applied to the original Deus Ex. However, I think nobody would argue that this "failing" detracts from the experience. And more specifically, from the emotional and rational impact the game has on the player towards the end.

I think the whole point of the Deus Ex franchise is that the player creates and determines his own story by choosing a specific style of play for specific situations, and not that one advances the plot to learn of the new development of character XYZ by completing missions.

Tilean

Watchdog