View Single Post

September 12th, 2011, 17:47
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
We don't know if steam/gamer's gate/impulse will be around in 10 years, and we don't know if they will (be forced to) remove older games. If these sites goes down, or if they remove the games, then everyone who have bought their games from them will end up not being able to play them any more.
So far, any game that has been yanked (ie Dragon Age 2) has been still available in the Steam accounts to those who already bought it. You just can't make new purchases of those games but they aren't taking them away from people who already own it.

Worse case scenario if Steam goes tits up someday and doesn't patch the games to be playable without it (they have already said they would in that event) then there are cracks available. Yes, it requires a little hoop jumping, but so does DOSBox and other things we need to do currently to play the older generation of games.

I think most older games will always require a little finagling no matter what.

As far as Gamersgate/Impulse/Direct2Drive etc go, you do know that they don't require you to connect to them after you download the game and install it? Some of the games have DRM but most of that is offline stuff like Securom. There is increasingly getting to be an online DRM component but that is from the publishers (EA, Ubi, Blizzard, Kalypso etc) and you will get that no matter what, even boxed copies have to deal with it.

Also, from time to time, the manual is fun to read.
I just download the PDF from Steam and throw it on cloud storage space then pull it up on my tablet.
Last edited by Motoki; September 12th, 2011 at 18:22.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch