View Single Post

September 23rd, 2011, 09:52
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
You can't really expect to leave something half baked and still enjoy universal praise for it. At least not unless you're in Kafka's league or something. You can take your chances, if you think your effort's worth it, but you can't really be surprised if people don't respond to it.
I agree that AP doesn't deserve extremely high praise, as it unfortunately had too many aspects of the game that were either poorly designed, under-developed, or outright mediocre; these issues definitely prevented the game from reaching greatness. But there were some positives to be found as well, which is why I think that AP should have (imo) at least been given credit for the things that it got right, in addition to simply being enjoyable to play. The flaws are annoying and in some cases they certainly hamper the experience, but as a whole, it's got some good things going for it as well that make it a worthwhile game to play.

Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
… the mechanics of the stealth system always remained a kind of mystery to me. It doesn't offer that much freedom of choice to complete a mission as Deus Ex, but it has some choices.
The stealth system was competent in an average sort of way, but it was no where near good enough for an espionage RPG. This was my personal biggest gripe with the game: the stealth system certainly worked well enough to be enjoyable, but it lacked the feeling of tension that permeates a great stealth experience like Thief, Splinter Cell, or Deus Ex.

The other issue I was disappointed with was the linear level design. I would have loved for AP to have taken a Deus Ex-like approach to the levels in terms of alternate paths and the freedom to choose the best approach to completing an objective, but it was more like Mass Effect in terms of having fairly linear hallways, rooms, and corridors.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch