View Single Post

September 23rd, 2011, 14:49
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
With what single-player games has this been done in? (MMOs don't count because they are entirely based for online gaming) This is a first as far as I know. Even games made with Steam in mind let me play offline with no problems what-so-ever. The only exception recently has been Dead Island, but that is a problem they are fixing with the next patch hopefully.
Just saying that type of design is coming. I haven't played Dead island, but apparently there's one. IIRC Dragon Age Origin had a connection to the Internet so your player profile could update as the game progressed, and weren't players required to join the Bioware forum during its installation or some such nonsense? True, it didn't prevent one from playing DA:O if the connection was down, but you would not have access to certain features. For some players this may have been as glaring a problem as not being able to play offline in the case of D3.

My point was more general, and not aimed specifically at D3's design, but rather the connectivity requirements will permeate SP games more and more to the point where possibly it's distinction from an MP game becomes blurry. As cloud computing becomes more prevalent and games are no longer stored on the client's PC this is going to be the case. I don't necessarily like that idea either, but that's the way it is and will be; so might as well get used to it.

The irony is while the lack of offline play in D3 doesn't bother me, I will more than likely for the first run-through play by myself. I don't like grouping with people that are on their 3rd Diablo kill because they won't pause for the story elements the new players haven't seen.

Even though I can't stand Hiccup (the character), I must agree with Alrik, this issue has been beaten to death.
Last edited by EvilManagedCare; September 23rd, 2011 at 15:38.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel