View Single Post

September 24th, 2011, 09:10
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Hellgate showed how well this gameplay formula can work with a different perspective.
That's subjective, of course. I didn't think very much of the couple of hours I played of Hellgate - it certainly didn't make me want to continue playing. Perhaps it just didn't work well for me.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
D3 IS conservative in some ways, and I think it's a legitimate observation.
Well…it's more of a value judgement than an observation, but valid nontheless I suppose.

I was actually pointing out Cheung's idea for the hypocritical irony rather than making any particular point of truth about D3's design.
The blog entry came out during the heated debates following Fallout 3's release. Given Bethesda's history of creating games with a first person perspective, it would have been a nonsensical expectation for them to use an isometric perspective since "that's not what we they do well" - to misquote a Todd Howardism.

Thus, one could argue that Bethesda in sticking to what they knew and what they had done in the past, were adopting a similarly conservative approach lacking in innovation. Yet, this didn't prevent Mr Cheung from making his ironical comments regarding D3's design. Again, I thought it was all quite amusing.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards