View Single Post

October 1st, 2011, 18:50
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
I agree that they are unlikely to change it back midway through piracy or no, but I don't think it has anything to do with racking up online sales. It's just been Blizzard's vision to make gaming more of a social network where you can catch up with your friends. And social networks only work when people are online to use them. Not sure that I agree with that vision, but that's what they have been promoting for years now. Starcraft 2 has never been changed to be playable offline, and there are no item sales or transaction fees to promote there. I doubt they are worried about piracy any more either.

As for the delay, it's entirely possible that it could be delayed to late 2012. Other then SC2, every one of Blizzard's major titles has been massively delayed. Blizzard is not shy about making major changes and scrapping ideas during the delay period either.
It has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with making money off the RMAH. No offline play means no way to modify your game to increase rare drops. No /players 8 or increase of finding rare eq. They will probably make the chance of rare loot dropping lower than in D2 so people are using the RMAH more. It's not about fighting piracy, it's about making money. Whatever makes the most money is how they are going to set it up in the game. They're just using piracy as an excuse to push their RMAH so they don't piss people off and people blame pirates instead of the them for their crappy design decisions.

Grimlorn

Watchdog