View Single Post

October 2nd, 2011, 04:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The best among indies? Nothing against Jeff, but I can't imagine you're placing his games among the best of crpgs in general.
I consider Jeff's best games some of the best in the CRPG genre in general. I don't mean "an all-time classic like Fallout or PS:T" (or whatever) but I do think they stand with the best of the next tier. When you take the entirety of the genre, I think they are very good games, despite the flaws.

Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
I don't know, I've played all of Jeff's games (the originals and the remakes) and many of them had boring/unchallenging combats, awful game balance, and game mechanics that looked good on paper but didn't really work. And that's not even getting into issues with telling the same story over and over. There have been great titles too, but Avadon is nowhere nearly as bad as the mediocre titles. Personally I though Avadon was a very strong game, and consider most of the mechanics to be a strong step forward even if they are flawed (but most of his games have flawed mechanics). There are only a few of his titles I consider stronger.

I personally consider Avadon to be stronger then netergate (especially the original nethergate). I'd put geneforge 1 over it, but none of the others because they are basically the same game. I'd definitely put avernum 5 over it, and probably 6 too, though I liked 5 better. It's way better then 4 though.
Well, you obviously find his games easier than I in general. I loved Nethergate (missed the original) and, yes, A5 was excellent but I liked A6 better. Still, all that means Avadon is in the middle of the pack for me.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team