View Single Post

October 9th, 2011, 02:59
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Nice read. Makes me wonder… what if GoG set up a sister site devoted to the online distribution of indies and only indies. There would be a symbiosis between the two considering the market overlap.
That's pretty much what Desura is, minus being owned by CDProjekt. No one uses it though.

In contrast, the average Steam visitor, for example, has little interest in non-AAA titles.
Ghan is right, indie games do sell on Steam and sell quite well. There's multiple blogs of indie developers to back this up and speaking personally, I buy a ton of indie games on there and everyone I know who uses Steam does too. They are inexpensive, usually go on sale and convenient to access on Steam.

The problem is not selling an indie game on Steam it's getting it on there in the first place.

I read some comments by Jay about sending off several emails and not hearing back but I have to wonder if there's a better way to get Steam's attention than an email sitting in someone's box along with god knows how many others. I don't know what that way is though. Contacts? Getting noticed through reviews? Getting in a Humble Bundle?

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch