View Single Post

October 9th, 2011, 03:40
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
My other biggest complaint is that the UI is just so….amateurish (sorry Jay, it's true). The keybinding in the patch will help, but the multitude of windows you need to go through to first read the description to remind yourself exactly what a spell does, and then to cast it is just kind of mind-boggling. And the feat system is REALLY suffering from a poor UI. The game has a nice character progression system with some skills progressing down a tree-like progression where grabbing pre-requisites will open up some pretty cool feats/abilities. But you have no idea from the UI which feats are pre-requisites for others, and you are unable to do ANY meaningless character planning in-game without the manual. The game would benefit so much from a graphical skill tree like you'd find in Diablo, but instead we're left with a simple text window that simply filters which feats are available based on your skill points and pre-requisites. It even goes so far as to filter out feats that require 2 skill points when you only have one available, so you're not sure if it might be worth it to save that skill point. Bottom line, the skill/feat UI really needs a major revamping so that all skills/feats in the game are visible, with some grayed out so you can quickly see which feats you want to shoot for and start investing in pre-requisites. Like I said, all this info is in the manual, but absolutely none of it is translated to the UI, and the game suffers for it IMO.
After playing the demo, this is my biggest gripe. I'm on the fence about whether to buy it or not, but the UI is a major detract from the game for me. It's not visually appealing and hard to extract information from. I understand this game is more or less a one person development with limited resources, but the UI (especially in this sub genre), connects everything together. Everything else I have seen in the game seems a step above the quality of the UI.

Scrav

Watchdog