View Single Post

October 9th, 2011, 18:52
Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
Anyway - bottom line is that getting on Steam is definitely a Big Deal for any indie. But my personal feeling is that you can't build your business around something you don't have any control over. You plan for it not happening, and if it does, it's a bonus.
Oh definitely. I just can't help wishing there were some better system though or more transparency.

As a consumer I can look at game X on Steam and think 'Wow that's a pile of crap' and game Y not on Steam and think 'That game is pretty awesome' and wonder why the situation is not reversed. Of course I don't work for Steam so what I think doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I'm sure they have criteria, I just have no flippin' clue what it is.

I do notice that while there is a fair bit of old school top down RPG-ish stuff on Steam, there is a distinct lack of old school first person dungeon crawlers. The only one I can come up with is Shining in the Darkness and it's impossible to say how well that sold since the vast majority of people will buy it as part of a pack of Genesis games.

Maybe Steam doesn't think old style first person dungeon crawlers are a viable sub-genre these days. It's not like anyone else does, present company excepted. Or maybe there's just so few of them that they haven't even given it consideration. *shrug*

In any case, you're absolutely right. The only thing you can do is just sell your game through whatever channels you have currently available. If it gets noticed elsewhere, great, if not oh well.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch