View Single Post

October 10th, 2011, 20:20
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I think Bioware is pretty good at what they are doing now: The gaming equivalent of Popcorn cinema. I like their games, they are polished, pretty, tell a simple story, and they entertain me. They are also increasingly simplistic and ultimately forgettable, but sometimes that is OK. Sometimes thats actually even what I am looking for. Let them do their stuff, let other people that hold actual enthusiasm for the genre do real RPGs.
Well Square has already been doing that sort of cinematic, forgettable popcorn console game heavy on dialog and dramatic characterization for years. It's not like it's anything new. At this point, Bioware is pretty much making JRPGs as far as I'm concerned.

I agree to a point that they, or for that matter any company, should be making games where their enthusiasm lies, but I'd also point out that mandates from above seem to have alienated people with enthusiasm for more traditional RPGs, like Brent Knowles, and brought in people whose enthusiasm lies for the 'awesome button' direction, like Mike Laidlaw.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch