View Single Post

October 12th, 2011, 13:37
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Worst still he's not able to distinguish words he is unfamiliar with from "olde worlde lingo." I just think the guy is bordering on being functionally illiterate if he lacks the ability to learn words from context and presumes anything unfamiliar is some archaic word that has no business in proper modern writing.
Originally Posted by Lurking Grue View Post
Just reading the quote given in the newsbit was enough for me. Good grief, what an utter twit.

Well, I guess he meant terms like, "breaking the fast" for breakfast and "on the morrow" for tomorrow, etc. Not exactly absurd or Ye Olde Worlde, but gave me a moment of pause when I read them. However, my excuse is that I don't have English as my first language and wasn't familiar with these terms; this "journalist" more likely does have English as his first language and should be adept with it (as it is an essential part of his profession).
It could be a sign of his age, that he just hasn't encountered many more rather "complicated" words in his whole life.

I guess he would have EXTREME problems reading Tolkien, then. Tolkien even once uses the word "gay" in the old-fashioned sense of "jolly" ! I found it somewhere rather in the first part of the LOTR novel.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR