View Single Post

October 13th, 2011, 06:46
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Huh? So being able to choose your race, gender, profession, weapons skills, and starting stats is virtually no character customization to you? Or are you talking more about the cosmetic aspects?
Well yeah that is pretty much virtually no character customization to me. Those are pretty much the same options I had in the original wizardry 1, I create a male dwarf fighter with a high strength, and that's it….that's my entire character and I have no options beyond that. Only in Wizardry 1 I could at least choose that for my entire party. I mean it's better then having no options at all, but it's really pretty bare bones. I consider real customization to be having options about how my character develops, and what skills, powers and stats I choose when he levels, not just whether he will start off as a strong dwarf fighter with an axe. But I suppose we may have different opinions there.

Note however that I'm not criticizing BG2 at all, it was one of my favorite games of all time. I liked that they gave you characters with personalities to adventure with, and I liked this better then creating my whole party from scratch. But I am saying that by modern standards the customization was very limited. Some of this may of course be just because it was based on 2nd edition D&D which also had limited customization. Later D&D titles started to include more and more of the options from 3rd edition even before they actually started using 3rd edition rules.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch