View Single Post

October 13th, 2011, 08:00
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Skill trees and feats over class selections, I agree give you more customization of your build. But once we get past ADD and to 3.0/3/5, I would have to disagree.

But games like DX:HR (or even Batman AA) give you enough experience to get all skills/feats/, so i wouldn't count those. DA:O was an anomaly in modern RPGs. But still the customization pales to DnD 3.5 for me.
I agree about DX:HR, but then I don't necesarily consider it that much of a RPG, just as an example of how even non RPGs have customization trees now. But it does feel a lot more like one early in the game when you don't have all the options you want.

3rd edition and games based on 3rd edition gave a lot of choices, and so games based on them generally gave more choice. I personally don't think that the feats made that made a difference in most computerized versions of it though. Usually there were a couple really important ones that you always took and the rest were more filler. But it was a lot better then nothing. I never actually played NWN 2 though so it's harder for me to comment on that particular game. I hated NWN 1 though because it was so incredibly dumbed down in it's D&D rules.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch