View Single Post

October 14th, 2011, 13:10
Originally Posted by xSamhainx
yeah, unfortunately Sirenia's become a total joke. Look at any of their newer stuff, Morten is hilarious in the videos.
Couln't agree more (hence the reason I mention the first two albums only).

Thanks alot for the Lethian Dreams referral, never heard of them. I really like the beauty/beast gothic metal genre, make it slow and doomy and I'm in heaven.
It's my favorite type of music as well. I've been around it for so many years, and never seems to grow old.

I assume youve burned thru Theatre of Tragedy as well? Just like Sirenia, first couple or so are good, then they went totally downhill.
Indeed! Although they've been deemed the "creators" of beauty and the beast gothic/doom, I can't say I ever really enjoyed any of their songs. Perhaps Venus, but that's about it.

Some would say Tristania did as well, but at least they were good up until roughly World of Glass.
Agreed, and again, it's identical to what I mentioned for Sirenia - only the first couple of albums. World of Glass wasn't too bad, but not so much a favorite, either.

If you don't mind the somewhat cheesy music videos and J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth music theme, I would also give Battlelore a listen. They're the one band I wouldn't say has gone downhill after 11 years. The lineup has stood strong, and they haven't really dabbled in the "unfamiliar" (if you know what I mean), which keeps their work very solid. They're more akin to gothic than doom, however. I like to think of them as another personal favorite of mine as well.

Battlelore - House of Heroes

I also adore The Sins Of Thy Beloved, but they've been on haitus since 2000! Their only two albums, Lake of Sorrow (1998) and Perpetual Desolation (2000) are some of the best out there. They are more doomish than anything I've mentioned thus far (next to Lethian Dreams, I believe).

The Sins of Thy Beloved - The Flame of Wrath

Trail of Tears is another, and most people discover them when they look into The Sins Of Thy Beloved, and vice versa (they're mentioned together about 99% of the time). Still an active band, but I haven't heard any of their later works post 2002. Their albums Profoundemonium (2000) and A New Dimension of Might (2002) are beautiful (but A New Dimension of Might is exceptional). They're more akin to gothic/black.

Trail of Tears - Ecstatic
Last edited by Ragnaris; October 14th, 2011 at 13:44.

Ragnaris

Watchdog