View Single Post

October 18th, 2011, 11:41
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Bummer. At least Katatonia threw you a few bones w/ the older stuff. I dont like any of their newer stuff, admittedly I havent given it that much of a chance. "Brave Murder Day" and especially "Dance of December Souls" grabbed me right away and held me in their grip for a while, I really liked those cd's a few years ago.

I just remembered Mike A. of Opeth is the the ex-vocalist for Katatonia (at least on B.M.D.), weird having both bands playing the same gig
Well, by older stuff I didn't mean they went as far back Dance of December Souls / Brave Murder Day era. But still albums 10+ years old. I would have loved for Mike Akerfeldt to jump in and do a Brave Murder Day song with them live. That is a great album!
Originally Posted by pibbur0x2a View Post
I like both instances of Opeth, I don't mind their new direction, as I like both metal and prog rock. At least Opeth don't stagnate. But I can understand the disappointment from primarily metal aficionados.

FWIW Dream Theater also migrated to a more prog rock sound on their latest album, I suspect that has something to do with Portnoy leaving the band.

BTW - What is correct English, writing "Opeth doesn't stagnate" or "Opeth don't stagnate". Opeth is one singular band, but consist of many members.

says pibbur who wants some English guidance
Well the thing is, that I like both metal and prog too. I like plenty of "pure" prog bands, like King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Rush, Yes, ELP, etc. But what I felt made Opeth special was putting extreme metal in a prog context. Very few other bands had done that before (when they started out), and none had done it as elegantly. I don't want them to stagnate and do the same thing over and over again, but it seems they are throwing out 90% of their repertoire. I suppose I will adjust to the new direction if they put out quality material. So far, Heritage doesn't really grab me though.

As for the English question - "Opeth doesn't stagnate" sounds better but I think both are valid. I'm not 100% certain though.

Myrkrel

Sentinel