View Single Post

November 4th, 2011, 17:08
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
I've finished Gothic three times and Risen twice and consider them both fantastic experiences. Nostalgically I probably lean towards Gothic a little more, but they both do what they do so exceptionally well.
Like you I'm sure I suffer from my own dose of nostalgia. Objectivley however, the featureset of Gothic is right up my alley: Exploratory discovery in huge doses, rewards for thoroughly exploring everything, hand-placed loot, no level scaling, hard at the beginning but powerful at the end, NPC schedules, NPC schedules that are altered based on story progress, day/night cycle, shooting stars FTW!, thunder sound effects that are NOT annoying (yes, I'm looking at YOU Risen!), secret places galore… just on and on.

Also, although the geography of G1 is small, I really like how things change continuously throughout gameplay. I find it interesting to revisit places I've already been to and discover that something has since changed. I find this much more interesting from a gameplay standpoint than the large but uneventful spaces of Oblivion.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch