View Single Post

November 4th, 2011, 20:51
Originally Posted by Sergorn View Post
However I'm thinking his sentence is saying that everyone was dissapointed that the WoUs and the UWs were not included in the Ultima Collection, rather than being dissapointed by the games.
That makes more sense. It's almost like the WoU games have been whitewashed. Even on the ultimaforever website banner image, they are missing:

Regarding Arthurian Legends, while it seems possible the project initiated as a World of Ultima game (on account of Richard Garriott mentioning this as a possible spin off back in the U7 days), the project in the end was -not- an Ultima: just a a Arthurian inspired RPG with the Ultima VII engine. I'm not sure how far the development went though, design was complete as docs but we have no exact idea how much was made. As I recall the project had a small team to begin with, and people kept being taken to put on other projects until there was eventually no one left to work on it. Sad.
Are you sure about that? Unfortunately the link that had the interview Sheri Graner Ray with (http://pcgtw.retro-net.de/index.php?id=games:alegends) seems to be dead, but I recall specifically saying that you were the Avatar in it. Makes sense though that they would move it to stand alone since WoU didn't sell real well.

I wonder why that was though. I can understand why Serpent Isle didn't sell as well as Black Gate. Even though it was a stand alone game, the whole 'Part II' made people think they HAD to play Part I to play it, so they weren't going to pick up many new sales from people who hadn't played Black Gate. Total Marketing fail due to Garriott's insistence that to be a whole new entry in the series, it had to have a whole new engine.

I do think the development was around the same time as SI though… not sure. And I'm pretty sure there must have been other attempts at Ultima spin off we haven't heard off though in the end, they ended reusing Ultima engines for different stuff (ie the U8 engine for Crusader)
I remember reading that Ultima VIII actually started as a general concept for a WoU game centering around the Greek Gods.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist