View Single Post

November 12th, 2011, 11:45
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Proper social tools are compatible with the Ultimate RPG

Whatever….So when is Risen 2 going to be released?
My personal vision is a little bit different, but also contains the word "social" : Future offline RPGs (if there'll ever be some [left]), will include much, much more social components than "modern" RPGs of today have.

I think we can indeed divide video game role-playing into several eras; one of them is the "Dungeon Crawling" phase of which Ultima Underworld and Stonekeep are the pinnacles, and the last ones of their era as well.

Since then, classic Dungeon Crawling still exists - but only as one element among others within games.

My personal view of the future contains much, much more social interaction within games. "The SIMs Medieval" or how they are called are to me what BG's bantering is for social interaction : An early experiment, vision, perhaps arriving too early (like Apple's Newton arrived too early) because the time just isn't right yet.

My personal vision is having the buyers of The SIMs (which is in my opinion a certain, yet very special kind of role-playing, too) an the ones of traditional RPGs.

So-called "Shooter-RPGs" are in my opinion just nother sub-genre, and therefore not significant on the role-playing genre as such.

Following my own, personal Qvision", Mr. Garriott is in a way right and in another way wrong : He is right that social gaming as such will habe an much higher impact in the future - but in my opinion he is wrong insofar that he underestimates social components/interaction in RPGs.

By the way, what I never understood is why RPG makers seem never to visit sites like The Forge, sites where RPG Theory is discussed.

Edit : An overview on fashions in role-playing (not wear fashions, but instead styles of playing) : http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/theory/fashions.html

Edit 2 : This article isn't bad, either (at least while I'm browsing through it righrt now) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; November 12th, 2011 at 11:55.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR