View Single Post

November 15th, 2011, 05:40
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Riddle me this: if the copy protection doesn't stop people from pirating it, what is it good for? Why make an already unattractive option even more terrible by forcing customers to use steam?
That's not a very hard riddle. Some quick answers off the top of my head:

- It removes Day 0 piracy on the PC (100% effectively, as far as I know). That encourages people to buy in the crucial early days when everyone has to have it *now*

- To convince investors you are protecting their money as best you can. Games are a risky proposition - you need to convince potential creditors you have covered as many bases as possible. You might not think it has any effect - does an investment fund agree?

- "Unattractive" is relative. A lot of people are arguing there is evidence this is one of the most successful PC title launches ever. I'm not adding an opinion but it's hard to argue Steam doesb't appear to have cost sales.

- Metrics. Steam allows users to know when, how often and fo how long they played the game, what stage the player reached, what character types were popular etc. This is invaluable information for developers and, again, for creditors to convince them you are on the right track.

Honestly, I could argue a perspective for a developer to riddle "why not use Steam".

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team