View Single Post

November 15th, 2011, 20:02
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
14% of boxed sales were for PC. With digital sales I bet it's at least 20-25% of total sales. That's pretty good, and much higher than snooty Todd Howard said a while back ("95% of our audience is on consoles").

Good on you, PC community.
Well, first of all you might want to quote the venerable Mr. Howard correctly before assaulting him for stating something that he certainly knows a lot better than you . He said "90%", not "95%".
Secondly, I don't see any reason why not to trust him on that number. You can find comparable numbers from other publishers like UbiSoft whose sales by platform showed numbers of between 7% to 11% in financial statements.
Then there's also the fact that Oblivion had zero DRM and only a simple DVD check while Skyrim requires Steam. I don't even want to know how many people pirated Oblivion (which was available on the shady sites before the game's release contrary to the PC version of Skyrim which was "only" made available on the day of release but not before).
Finally, I think we all know about the sad state of affairs regarding our beloved platform so there is generally very little reason to doubt Mr. Howard's numbers since it seems to correlate just fine with the lack of love that we are seeing for PC gaming from publishers, developers, retailers and even PC gamers themselves.

Moriendor

Spielkind