View Single Post

November 16th, 2011, 15:17
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
The only software that I have used for a long time is Avast but that has only been about 3-4 years and I always check to see if the problem involves my anti-virus when I have problems with a program. I use Windows Firewall for my firewall and make sure proper exceptions are in place. The first time I tried installing Steam was in 2004 when Half-Life 2 came out and I don't even have any of the software I had then. I actually don't even have parts from the same manufacturers in my computer as back then.

PS. I just remembered that I have fully upgraded my system twice since then so I have tried with 3 different hardware configurations.

PPS. Actually what happens is Steam will install but it won't run correctly and either will immediately crash, never start at all, or will crash my computer. This las time it crashed my computer and then Windows wouldn't start and I had to go into safe mode to get it working again.
That's the weirdest thing i've ever heard considering you've totally swapped hardware. Over the past few years building or upgrading computers for friends and family i've installed or seen steam on well over 100 systems i'd guess. single core to quad core, intel to amd, nvidia to ati or amd, integrated video and sound, etc.

It's worked on all of them and I personally have never had steam not start. I've had games on steam crash but weather that's the game or steam who knows but even that is pretty rare. I realize just because i've had success with it doesn't mean everyone will but to not have it even start on 3 different harware setups has to be extremely rare.

Have you contacted steam support? Are you sure their are no common denominators with hardware or software on the 3 different systems?( ie. reusing ram or hd) Do you have any other programs that wont work on all 3 systems?

sakichop

SasqWatch