View Single Post

November 16th, 2011, 17:32
"To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers. That a game can aspire to artistic importance as a visual experience, I accept. But for most gamers, video games represent a loss of those precious hours we have available to make ourselves more cultured, civilized and empathetic. "

That is one of the most closed minded comments i've ever heard. Think of how many people in the world can actually name much of the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists. Lots of people watch movies, but how many of them remember the director's name of a movie that really moved them? Even further, can we name the artists who worked on make-up, special effects, etc? Yes in the gaming world, those who've been around will remember very clearly names like Roberta Williams, Richard Garriot, Chris Taylor, John Carmack, Peter Molyneux and so on. Art is meant to invoke emotion. And aside from certain novels, for me personally, I don't think there's been any other "art" that has invoked as much emotion as some of the earlier Sierra and Bioware games. Yes I agree that they can be a time sink, but I would venture to say it's comparatively much less time than those who plunk their royal ass on the couch and watch endless hour of meaningless television. Maybe before making the comments of being more cultured, civilized and empathetic, Mr Ebert might have a different point of view if he had my experience to sit down with my 6 year old daughter and relive the moments of Monkey Island together. As an amateur programmer working on a very amateur game, I'm creating something, not to make profit, but out of an emotional response from my life experiences with games, and wanting to pass that on to other generations who may feel the same way. I can't pass on the art of generations of cooking recipes, or come close to my wife's delicious cooking, but I can do this. And if even one person can find enjoyment in it, just like cooking, then it is art, not matter how amateur or awful it is.

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver