View Single Post

November 17th, 2011, 21:12
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
It's a shame that DOSBOX seems to be platform/environment sensitive. But at least it gives you lots of options to optimize/tweak. The down side is that it's a classic example of the "20 knobs" problem. Lots of undocumented settings that need be tried out via trial and error.
Yup. It's better than a lot of other things though. I can generally get a game running fairly quickly (granted most of the time I'm using a guide like the one I posted!). This is kind of what turned me off from Exult (and a lot of OpenSource software). I looked at Exult last night, and in addition to all the bugs that seem to have popped up, there were so many different settings, I just figured it would be easier with DosBox.

If you want a real example of the '20 knobs' problem, just try building an HTPC! I replaced out DVR with one last year and I have a full love/hate relationship with it. I once tried using a guide on avsforum to upscale DVD's to HD using ffdshow. I'm sure the results are great, but holy crap where there a million different variables. I finally just paid the money for SimHD in Total Media Theater and use that. It may not be quite as good, but it is easy!

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

Resident Redneck Facist