View Single Post

November 17th, 2011, 20:12
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
It's a shame that DOSBOX seems to be platform/environment sensitive. But at least it gives you lots of options to optimize/tweak. The down side is that it's a classic example of the "20 knobs" problem. Lots of undocumented settings that need be tried out via trial and error.
Yup. It's better than a lot of other things though. I can generally get a game running fairly quickly (granted most of the time I'm using a guide like the one I posted!). This is kind of what turned me off from Exult (and a lot of OpenSource software). I looked at Exult last night, and in addition to all the bugs that seem to have popped up, there were so many different settings, I just figured it would be easier with DosBox.

If you want a real example of the '20 knobs' problem, just try building an HTPC! I replaced out DVR with one last year and I have a full love/hate relationship with it. I once tried using a guide on avsforum to upscale DVD's to HD using ffdshow. I'm sure the results are great, but holy crap where there a million different variables. I finally just paid the money for SimHD in Total Media Theater and use that. It may not be quite as good, but it is easy!

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist