View Single Post

November 27th, 2011, 10:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a little more than just nostalgia.
Ah, a perfect sample of completely objective voters who were in no way affected by the warm pull of nostalgia . Again though, I only said that a case could be made that DA:O is better. Playing BG2 so many years after its release (and after playing Origins first), I can say that it has aged very well and is highly enjoyable - I only wish some of the improvements from DA:O were in there as well (such as more interesting melee and archery, a far less annoying magic system, better party path-finding, cross-class combat tactics, slower, more methodical pace to combat which makes it easier to manage, etc.) The same could be said of Dragon Age…there are elements of BG2 that I really wish were in that game (way more classes to choose from, multi/dual classing, six person party, owning your own keep, longer and far more involved side-quests, more possible party setups, etc.)

The setting wasn't the biggest factor for me though. The repetitiveness of DA's environments and enemies is what annoyed me most, and even most fans of the game won't try to deny those points. DA would have actually been a better game if it was about 20% shorter. There just wasn't enough variety for a game that could stretch close to 100 hours.
Hmm… well, the length of Dragon Age seemed just about right for me, and the one major area that most complain about as being too long - the Deep Roads - was really enjoyable for me, and made sense within the setting as to why it would be such a long journey to finish. Playing through BG2, most of the complaints of repetitive enemy encounters and overly long sections of "filler combat" could also apply to that came as well. Micro-managing the spell system becomes extremely tiresome after 40+ hours, and is a bit of a headache overall. I would say that BG2 had more diverse enemies and encounters overall, but it still suffers from the same issue of drawn-out combat that isn't completely necessary.

Still, I think it's a very good game considering when it was released. It was the closest thing we had to an "old-school" party-based RPG in a long time, and will probably be the last of that type of game we see from anybody.
Now that I can certainly agree with without question . I added in the "anybody" part, because I don't think we'll ever see a game of Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age's nature ever again.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch