View Single Post

December 5th, 2011, 12:28
In the Larian forums a .GIF smiley was found to have some scripting behind it, perhaps hackers got it in or so. This case was found by a few German forum users, and it was noticeable seemingly only (?) under Linux.

After the report of this strange incident, Larian did an update of the forums-software.

I still don't quite understand what it was. When I had downloaded this .GIF Smiley file onto my own PC, I had nothing but a tiny .GIF file. But two or three people said thre was PHP scripting embedded in or behind it. And I trust them. Espcially since one of them knows several things about computers (don't remember if he's a professional or not, but he definitively knows how to work with Linux).

The discussion about this tiny .gif file begins here : http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthre…649#Post450649
It is in German language, though.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR