View Single Post

December 8th, 2011, 14:56
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
He seemingly hasn't heard about terms like "railroading" and others from pen & paper roleplaying theory.
Yeah, but lots of people consider railroading a Very Bad Thing(tm). Back when I ran PnP games I let players do pretty much whatever they wanted and adapted my stories on the fly to fit their actions. Everyone I knew hated being forced down a certain path, but this was in the days before RPG meant CRPG. People may be more open to that sort of thing now, since they're used to video games doing it to them.

"Story" is the hip thing in games now, and it doesn't take a genius to see that the big companies are trying to make games into slightly interactive movies. That's a big part of why I'm buying fewer and fewer mainstream games and giving more of my meagre earnings to the indies who make games with a greater element of freedom to them.

To me games are toys, and I when I play a game I want to do what I want at my own pace on my terms. It's my game, and my story I'm interested in. If the designers can write something that interests me enough for my story to parallel theirs, then it's a win-win, but that doesn't happen very often.

Other people want to be shown a story and be allowed the illusion of controlling one of the characters for a while. It's down to personal taste. They can play their games that way, but they'd better not try to force that crap into mine.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch