View Single Post

December 9th, 2011, 10:02
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I actually think just like he does when picking up items: "What's the price-per-weight for this item?"
Is it really that hard to calculate though? What I mean is: Does it have to be incredibly accurate and detailed in order to make a reasonable decision? For me, it's really not that hard to judge whether or not an item is worth picking up or not, and I think that some people are severely over-thinking this aspect.

For example: Say there is a piece of "Banded Iron Armor" laying on the ground with a max value of 90 gold, and it weighs 27 pounds. Without calculating a specific number, I can immediately tell that the item is not essential to take with me to sell; I can take it if I have room, but it's clearly not valuable enough to make it a priority. Now let's say I find a piece of "Ebony Armor" that has a max value of 450 gold and also weighs 27 pounds. This is an item - again, without doing any crazy "pound-for-gold" calculation - that is clearly a priority for selling purposes if I have no personal need to wear it.

This works for just about every item in the game - petty soul gems can clutter an inventory and aren't worth very much, while grand soul gems are of a high enough value to be worth taking (this is displayed on the screen before you even pick an item up). How is this such a headache to figure out? I think anyone who wants a "price-per-weight" ratio or any other very specific value calculation is vastly over-thinking a pretty simple game mechanic, in my opinion.

Also, I think that carry-limits serve mostly to protect the players from themselves - without it, players might pick up every item imaginable and end up with a ridiculously clustered, unorganized inventory that is nearly impossible to completely sort out - and once it is sorted out, it becomes a complete mess again within a few hours. Sometimes limits are a good thing

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch