View Single Post

December 10th, 2011, 14:24
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the math, and that works out in favor of my argument. My point is that regardless of weight-gold ratio equations, it takes a lot of hoarding to make gathering petty soul gems (or any low value item, regardless of how little they weigh and pound for gold value) worth the hassle when compared with taking only higher value items, and in my opinion, it's over-thinking the mechanic to come to the realization that petty soul gems are "worth more" than a suit of ebony armor just because of a weight-gold ratio (If anything, a "time and effort" section needs to be added to the weight-gold equation - then the fast and easy process of picking up a single piece of ebony armor would clearly be a higher priority than the long process of gathering many petty soul gems ). Using my "quick-look" method, I probably make more money overall and faster than a "weight-gold ratio" hoarder, assuming that console cheats to extend the carry limit are not involved.
The point is to increase the overall amount of loot/value carried out of each dungeon, as travel time is far more significant than looting time. Inventory should be cleared once per dungeon. It's possible to make piles of money really fast in Skyrim simply by maximizing every trip to the vendors. My latest character is a good example: After about 70 hours playing time, the in-game "Gold Found" stat under General Stats shows 316.009 gold. That's without any type of cheating or cheesy money making schemes.

Edit:
Just went through my characters to check how gold I've made.
Total time spent: 180 hours according to Steam.
Total gold found: 639.457

Not bad considering only the character mentioned above actually completed Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood, where there's a lot of money to be made.
Last edited by Maylander; December 10th, 2011 at 14:34.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander