View Single Post

December 21st, 2011, 13:41
Last night I finished Fahrenheit (which Americans call Indigo Prophesy because Americans are weird like that) and I was fascinated by it.

A quick review for that game is the easiest thing to do: The gameplay consists of using of items - sometimes on other nearby items - in an obvious way, selecting dialog options, and Simon Says style quicktime events that are at best irrelevant and distracting. Most of the gameplay is obviously an afterthought meant to add some interactivity, as it often comes down to keep pressing a button so that the video you're watching will keep playing! Sometimes, however, it has a point and it becomes brilliant - for example, the very first part when you have to escape the murder scene is one of the best and most unique gaming experiences I've had.

So there's a little really good gameplay accompanied with tons of filler button pressing. But the focus of the game is obviously elsewhere - it shows straight away when it presents you with a start 'new movie' button instead of a 'new game' one. Well, that movie's production values are absolutely terrible… actually if it's a game then they are top notch so I'll keep thinking this as being a game and I'll be happy. The soundtrack is the best I've heard in a game by the way - and it's fine for a movie too I guess… the acting too.

But the part that really got to me is the story… And I will be completely absolutely serious now… this was a story of quality that proudly reaches the heights established by the likes of… Ed Wood! Any doubts? "Plan 9 from Outer Space" was about a group of aliens trying to stop humans from creating a doomsday weapon that would destroy the universe by raising the dead and turning them into zombies. Fahrenheit is about
Spoiler

Now you might ask me what on earth was I expecting… I don't know, but I didn't expect to start with 'Seven' and end with the 'Life of Brian'. If you want to tell me a story then make up a good one, if not then make the gameplay good and I'll be happy with "sorry but our princess is another castle". Honestly if the people making these games want to be taken seriously they need to to raise their standards. The gamers also need to really encourage higher standards because at this point "Plan 9 from Outer Space" has a better, deeper and more inspired story than most games out there have.

Anyway, I'd still recommend the game for what it gets right. The first few hours especially are particularly good, the atmosphere is great and I don't remember any other game delivering suspense so well.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)
Last edited by holeraw; December 21st, 2011 at 16:46.

holeraw

V.G.A.