View Single Post

December 21st, 2011, 20:45
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
Why? Undoubtedly Legolas was there just not named in The Hobbit. He is the son of the King of the Elves of Mirkwood after all.
I'm pretty sure the character didn't even exist in Tolkien's mind at that point.

I just don't like Jackson taking liberties with a story like The Hobbit.
That's unavoidable, the Hobbit won't look very well on the big screen unless someone takes liberties with it. Unless you feel like being very bored for long periods of time for no reason. Remember, there is a point in the story when a major character just ups and leaves, and comes back at the end with no satisfying motives or accomplishments that relate to the plot of the book. And a point when all the major characters are basically in a deadlock and can't do anything about it, until a completely random hitherto unheard of person kills the main villain in a stroke of blind luck. And then an army of monsters comes out of nowhere and starts attacking everyone.

Personally, I hope Jackson has the time and the nerve to start filming various epic stories from the Silmarillion after the Hobbit is done.

Glyphwright

Emanation of Tranquility