View Single Post

December 23rd, 2011, 00:36
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
HR is far more non-linear than any "modern" fps/rpg hybrid, but compared to the original, it just doesn't capture that same feeling of player freedom. The vast levels were brilliantly used for more than just "empty open space" or to give a mere illusion of non-linearity; it opened up different approaches for the player and allowed for more experimentation and meaningful exploration. If HR had more "Omega Ranch" levels and less "generic office sky-scraper building #24" I would have been left with a much more glowing assessment of the game, as the core gameplay mechanics and atmosphere are wonderful; overall, HR is a very enjoyable, well-made game.
That pretty much sums up the way I feel about DX:HR. It had solid gameplay mechanics, but some sections of the game were just far too repetitive for my taste. I also preferred the level design in the original, and yes, the Omega Ranch was the best level in HR, imo.

I still think it was one of the better games released in 2011, but I found myself wishing it was over towards the end because of the repetitiveness. I can't even bring myself to play the DLC due to the fact that it requires playing the full game again.

JDR13

SasqWatch