View Single Post

December 27th, 2011, 21:39
I think developers are stuck in a position where they don't know what to do when it comes to time. Too many games with arbitrary and obnoxious time-based mechanics have made people freak out the moment a time limit to anything is mentioned. It's led to silliness like how in DA:O, Morrigan whines and complains that you are taking too long doing anything but really you can just wander all over the map forever with no real consequence. It ends up making her into a one dimensional sociopath rather than a self-concerned pragmatist, which is what I think they might have been intending.

An idea I would find interesting would be one where the players party is 'competing' with another group of adventurers who's actions are opposed to the players characters, determined through analysis of the players actions. So if you're playing a good/altruist party, there'd be a computer controlled evil/selfish party in the world also solving quests and doing things in other parts of the game world (or vice versa) that you then would experience the results of. That'd also open up an interesting and somewhat unique multi-player concept.

Anyhow.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch