Thread: A Thought
View Single Post

December 30th, 2011, 14:13
Originally Posted by cocohuang View Post
maybe the same to you
Of course I will be one day no more.

Who has said a different thing ?

Originally Posted by Damian Mahadevan View Post
Are you serious? Steam is only the first phase. All PC games in the future and all console games in the future with have online copy protection like Diablo 3 where the ai and other content are server side. Perhaps they will remove the copy protection when there arent enough people playing to justify the servers, but most games will last a very long time with this protection.
Of course it will be like that.

Several days ago I made an interesting observation : The higher the development of humankind is, the higher developed < - > and at the same time much more fragile the methods used are - in media, for example.

An rough overview :

First : real instruments
Second : Vinyl (or other material) for music records
Third : CD
Fourth : DVD
Fifth : Blue-Ray

What comes next ?

But the main question is this : If we are striken by an asteroid, how much of this music will get lost ? In an Fallout scenario - how mny CD Players will not only survive, but also be able to play their mediums ? And how many CDs will survive ?

Same goes for literature

First : Stone
Second : Printed Books
Third : Energy-driven readers for so-called "E-Books"

As soon as the energy sn't there anymore (Fallout-scenario), those "E-Readers" won't work anymore.

Same goes for Radio and TV.
Harddisks and Blue-Rays.

The higher the humankind evolution is, the more fragile the technical solutions are.
Which is perfectly in balance with the animal evolution : They become more fragile over time, too. Bacteria will survive LONG after humankind is no more.

And that's why I love Board Games.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR