View Single Post

January 9th, 2012, 07:55
1. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar - Like some others have posted, the one that got me into RPGs. Back in the day I remember keeping a journal throughout, I was so engrossed. Combine that with a unique plotline and characters I actually gave a damn about (Iolo! Dupre!) and you have a true classic.

2. Ultima VI: The False Prophet - Definitely a soft spot for this one. I remember it being quite a technological jump from Ultimas I-V (though not as much as VII), but I was completely caught up in the story.

3. Fallout - I found Fallout 2 something of a disappointment compared with this, though it could just be I have fonder memories of playing this one. As others have mentioned, it made you feel that your actions truly had consequences. And I fondly recall a playthrough were I butchered every person I came across. Success!

4. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 - Tough but more rewarding than virtually any other CRPG out there (I haven't played Planescape Torment yet, much to my embarrassment).

5. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Am digging all the love for this underrated gem. Compulsively replayable and genuinely gripping, with a fantastic atmosphere. Writing this, I'm tempted to reinstall and play it again.

6. Deus Ex - Though I almost always opt for a sniper/shooter character, the number of ways you can complete most missions is always an eye-opener. I've heard Human Revolutions is pretty good too, certainly better than Deus Ex 2, but this would be hard to top.

7. System Shock 2 - Probably the most terrifying gaming experience of my life and Shodan is one of gaming's best villains.

8. Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - Truly innovative for their time, they were two of the most addictive dungeon crawlers I can remember (though the Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore games were great, too).

9. Dungeon Master I and II - I still remember these fondly from my Amiga days, whittling away countless hours.

10. Fallout 3 - Far better than I could have expected by moving the Fallout franchise into three dimensions. Still playing this and its DLC to death.

Honorable mentions: Lands of Lore, Ultima VII, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls III - V

Underrated: Two Worlds (despite bugs and horrible voice acting)

Overrated: The Witcher, Divine Divinity (ducks)

Kurosawa-Fan

Starting character