View Single Post

January 12th, 2012, 17:36
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
M&M didn't offer anything new or ground breaking from what I recall. Not saying they were not good, but a top 10 list should break new ground or do what those before it did at a high level. M&M was a good and enjoyable series but not overly note worthy IMO.

Don't think I played Wiz8 so…
You think NWN 2, IWD and Dragon Age Origins are groundbreaking but not M & M?
That's nuts. There's nothing in any of those games that haven't been done before.

Sure, the origins in DA were nice but these didn't make the game. What was great about DA:O was that it was somewhat of a return to the Baldur's Gate games of old after Bioware's KOTOR, Jade Empire and ME games.

IWD was a modern (at the time) gold box game. Basically Baldur's Gate with emphasis on combat instead of story/characters.

NWN 2 was more of the above.

And I loved IWD and DA:O so not that I have anything against those two (IWD is in my top 10, underrated).

I only played the M & M games in the last couple of years and only recently really got into M & M 4 but from my knowledge of games of that era (I've been gaming since the early 80s) M & M would have been groundbreaking for it's non-linear format COMBINED with it's humongous environments.

The later games also allowed you to switch from TB to real time if I'm not mistaken.

How about being able to combine M & M IV and V into a single game (World Of Xeen)? That was different. Still is. Would be amazing to combine Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
--
Oblivion cares about YOU!

Relayer

Keeper of the Watch