View Single Post

January 28th, 2012, 22:01
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
@CraigCWB: MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott for Ultima Online. Meridian 59 was a MUD or MMPRPG. Yes, we are splitting hairs, but UO was the first MMO.
Well, I've never liked that term nor any of the related massively, immersively, awesomely, intuitively, accessibilityively givemeyourmoneyively marketing babble so that's one more strike! Origin over-hyped the hell out of UO and if they'd just worked a little harder at making a good online game that was different and better than what others had done instead of investing so much into promising to be the coolest thing EVAR it would have been a better product, in my opinion

BTW, I was never a fan of MMOs…
I liked Meridian 59 a lot at first but the gameworld was just too small and it really became nothing but a PvP arena in the space of a couple weeks. I had high hopes for UO but nothing ever came of that for me. EQ I loved for the first year it was out, and I continued playing it a couple more years even after I started loving it a lot less. Haven't done anything but dabble with them since then. DAoC seemed like EQ but better to me for a while, until I realized how much they'd dumbed it down for a mainstream audience. That's a trend that's done nothing but accelerate, and I don't want to invest any significant amount of my time doing the cyberspace equivalent of hanging out on an elementary school playground.

I was an early beta tester for Ultima Online, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Me too! On both counts! I was so disgusted by UO and the comments made about it by Richard Garriott and Raph Koster that I ver nearly passed on EQ when it shipped. Glad I didn't, as I wouldn't have wanted to miss that year or so of being involved in an online community that actually DID feel like an online community

CraigCWB

Sentinel