View Single Post

February 2nd, 2012, 01:03
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
errrr why not join a guild? You can have as much interaction as you desire.
Thats a bit beside the point … I was more just pointing out how some of the group dynamics have changed.

For the record I do join guilds, and in WoW had a great one that was very casual and social. However I really haven't found one since then. Its all about raiding and power gaming and I just have not had much luck.

Course I also have less time to play now, which limits some of the time I have to spend forming bonds.

Still, and totally ancedotal, my own experience in more current games has been an ever increasing desire of players to burn through content and to focus on end-game raiding. Both players and games seem to focus on that more .. or as someone else pointed out more extremes of solo or raiding. The few guilds I have joined remain social for about as long as it takes the core players to reach end-game then it all shifts to raiding.

I still play MMO's (playing SWTOR and RIFT) right now so I enjoy them. But I have been playing MMO's since EQ and I have noticed a shift. For me its real and exists but that is just my own experience so not trying to make any global claims.

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch