View Single Post

February 6th, 2012, 18:31
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
I must admit I was not even aware of the apocalyptic folk tag for this particular scene (I would not mind seeing more good ones from you or Myrkrel if you have them please )
I found there are a few genre names that get used for this scene - dark folk, neofolk, folk-noir, etc. So I don't think apocalyptic folk is a consistently used term - but it describes a lot of Current 93 perfectly as their lyrics are actually apocalyptic. The wikipedia article on Neofolk has a reasonable overview of the genre and some associated bands.

If you add in Sol Invictus along with C93 and Death in June you have the three cornerstones / pioneers of the genre. I'm not super familiar with Sol Invictus' output but here are a few things I like from them:

From the "In a Garden Green" album:
Sol Invictus - Europa (instrumental mostly but awesome atmosphere)
Sol Invictus - Come the Morning
Sol Invictus - Ave Maria

From "Death of the West"
Sol Invictus - Kneel to the Cross

Most of their discography is on Spotify - so if you have access to that you can check more of their stuff out.

Of the Wand and the Moon is a great dark-folk project - heavily inspired by Death In June's sound.

Of the Wand and the Moon - Lost in Emptiness

Its been a while since I've been immersed in that scene so my memory is a bit hazy - but I'll try to think of some more good ones.

Myrkrel

Sentinel