View Single Post

February 15th, 2012, 18:38
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I finally got this and listened to it. On the first playthrough it was very mesmerizing and engaging, even though as Alrik said a lot of it is just piano, voice, AND very quiet ambient background sounds. The piano is flawless at times (as her voice). Definitely a winner. You know it's good when you pullup into the driveway without remembering the drive home except for the music.
Got this over x-mas and only just started listening to it. I love it, and I love the new direction she's going in - this reminds me a lot of some of the better tracks on her previous album. She's mellowed out a bit but the music's all the more better for it. Hounds Of Love will always remain my favorite album of hers (and possibly my favorite album of all time), but these last two albums have been astoundingly good - especially after what I thought was a very mixed album (The Red Shoes).

Also listening to: I've always been a fan of the Australian band The Church. Even though here in the states they've always been just another 80s one-hit-wonder band, I've followed them over the years. They're one of the few bands who have been together around three decades and continue to get better (though for a while in the 90s some of their albums were pretty mediocre).

But their last album, 2009's Untitled #23 is quite stunning, not just their best album but some of the best music I've heard in a while.

They've never been consistent - for every 2 amazing tracks on any given album, there were always 2 that were actually quite terrible and this was balanced out by a few pretty good songs and another few "just ok" songs. But their last 3 or 4 albums have seen them getting more and more consistently brilliant. Still, even on this album there are 2 tracks I can't stand - however, the remaining 8 tracks are ALL great.

Oblivion cares about YOU!

Relayer

Keeper of the Watch