View Single Post

February 18th, 2012, 02:47
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Personally I have a tendency to consider the price-performance ratio. If somebody is on a budget he can build a pretty damn fast gaming machine based on a cheap AMD CPU.
Sure but the price/performance Δ on a relative scale should take into account power consumption… Over the course of a couple years the Intel platform could actually be cheaper due to it's overall(idle and load) power consumption being lower than that of an AMD platform(mobo + CPU) with all other components equal.

@zahratustra

A bit dated but nothing like what I was expecting… It's not really the CPU/mobo that is holding you back it's that 4670. A temp solution to tide you over while you piece your future gaming rig together would be to buy the PSU and GPU you desire for your future PC but use them in your current dell(assuming that is possible, which it should be unless your dell uses some strange form factor PSU/ or small case that cannot accommodate the potentially larger GPU).

@Gorath

You are correct, AMD has been trailing since the tail end of their K8 days, coinciding with the release of C2D… So really they've only been trailing for 5.5+ years, which isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. However, just as I recommended everyone buy K8 over nutburst, I will also advocate for the higher performance and lower power consuming part. Which, ironically, today is a complete role reversal of the ole K8 vs netburst days - AMD had the IPC and Intel had clock speed.

MasterKromm

Sentinel