View Single Post

February 18th, 2012, 02:19
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
My computer is slowly but surely getting obsolete and I would like start planning a new one which I will build myself. Two motherboards i was thinking about are:
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16813131786
I got that board coupled with an i5-2500K and have been very happy with it so far. Never had a bug or issues with a BIOS update or any other annoying crap. It's been smooth sailing all along and the board has a great set of features including automatic overclocking (for which you need a 'K' CPU from Intel obviously). If you decide to use the auto OC feature then the BIOS will automatically select the highest safe frequency which turned out to be 4.2GHz in my case. This way you're getting a really nice free +500MHz boost (the regular non-OC turbo clock of the 2500K is 3.7GHz). With decent air cooling (I have a Thermalright Archon) it is pretty much risk-free, too. I haven't had a single sign of overheating or instability. The CPU is 100% Prime/Orthos stable even when OC'ed.

Intel or AMD for a gaming system really is a no-brainer. You will definitely want to buy Intel unless you are running on an extremely super tight budget where every penny counts. But if anyone is that starved for cash then you're probably better off saving your money for other more important RL stuff instead of upgrading a gaming comp.

Moriendor

Spielkind