View Single Post

February 18th, 2012, 03:31
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
That is the worst thing you can do. Games are mostly GPU bound not CPU. My 7 year old cpu still plays all the latest games perfectly well. Read the link I gave before. A Core i3-2120 will give almost IDENTICAL performance to a 2500k in games. Meanwhile an extra 50 dollars for the GPU can make 20-30%+ performance difference…

edit: I am pretty sure Gorath didn't mean to cheap out on the GPU as well. If you want to save money reduce the quality of the ram and motherboard and accessories, they make very little difference from a price/performance perspective.
The only component I'd ever recommend cheaping out on is the ram… It's effect on total performance is minimal these days. Heck you could probably bump up voltage or lower the speed on the following kit and run CL9 easy:

2x4gb 1600mhz CL11 1.35v @ 35 shipped free

-EDIT-

Clarification: by cheaping out I mean buying the absolute cheapest component… Think ramen noodles. A midrange CPU/GPU is by no means cheaping out.

-EDIT- #2

For GPU reviews I tend to like HWC, here's a recent one covering AMD's 7770 + 7750.

MasterKromm

Sentinel