View Single Post

March 13th, 2012, 11:28
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
So the sequels make the necessary changes that you desire…and you won't play them because of issues in the first game - issues that were addressed? That line of thinking really doesn't make much sense .
Why not? I'm assuming that the whole point of making a sequel is to make a game with more similarities than differences to a previous one. I might like a sequel more but not enjoying one game in a series is a fair indication that I won't like the others either. So why should I insist trying when there are so many games to play?

Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Reading your largest complaint - that the player can get by through the usage of combat instead of pure stealth, where the player is "punished" if they are detected by making combat really risky
Our biggest difference here is that I don't anymore think that gamers should be punished in whatever way. If you fail at being stealthy you should either be allowed to try again (preferably in a way that would not spoil the atmosphere like saving, reloading and acting with previous knowledge does) or, ideally, there should be a stealthy way to correct your mistake. Switching from good stealth gameplay to bad combat gameplay is not something that I find appealing anymore.

Please keep in mind that I have no intention to bash the game. I can see the good design and I understand why it's considered a classic. I know it took a fresh approach and that inevitably results in rough edges and I understand it focused on a unique type of gameplay that is likely to have improved a lot by other games since. I'm just registering some thoughts about the game as I see it on its own more than 14 years later and, inspired by it, some thoughts about games in general.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.