View Single Post

March 22nd, 2012, 07:55
I have not yet seen the end myself, but it sounds a lot like the ending of Final Fantasy VII (the ORIGINAL ending), which left a lot of unanswered questions and hinted at the possibility that the characters and the entire humanity had died. People were unhappy with that ending too (although I loved it myself).

I guess all this speaks volumes of how succesfully Bioware has managed to engage its audience. The storyline and characters have become so relatable, personal and emotionally involving that the frustrating ending has left a lot of players emotionally in the same vacuum as the main character. It's very rare for any kind of entertainment to create this sort of reaction. I'm reminded of the storm created by the death of Tara, a prominent lesbian icon, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also the chapter on the Beauty and the Beast fans in Henry Jenkins' book on media studies, Textual Poachers. These cases also opened a lot of discussion on audience/producer relationships, audience expectations vs. artistic aspirations, and the artistic freedom vs. artistic responsibility.

Raggie

Watchdog